Skip to main content

Using Netvibes on a mobile device

If you are one of the new migrants to Netvibes you may not realise that it has several mobile clients. You may want to try them all out before choosing the one which suits you best. I mix and match depending on the deice I am using and the quality of my internet connection. To get each version just type the url into the address bar of your browser.

wap.netvibes.com This text only version of Netvibes looks really ugly but I find it very useful useful on my phone. It gives you the information you need with no extraneous distractions and you can always click the header of a post to get to the original webpage if you need more. Great if your internet signal is weak because it uses almost no bandwidth. It only seems to show RSS feeds though so any fancy Netvibes widgets don't show. It doesn't seem to be able to judge screen size so be prepared to do a bit of manual zooming to use this.


mobile.netvibes.com This is the official Netvibes entry point for all  mobile devices. It is supposed to direct you to the correct version for your phone or tablet . I prefer to just choose my own version.

android.netvibes.com, iphone.netvibes.com I am pretty sure these used to be different but now they both seem to direct you to exactly the same client. In fact I can use android.netvibes.com on my wife's iphone and iphone.netvibes.com on my android and I cannot tell the difference. It is a lot prettier than wap.netvibes.com and uses an iphone like interface. Apart from looking prettier the main advantage of this over wap.netvibes.com is that it has an extended feed reader view where you can see the first line of a post without clicking it. This is my least favourite client though and I rarely use it. I notice that it doesn't work on the Firefox browser but it does work on Safari, Chrome and Dolphin. I think this means it uses webkit.

ipad.netvibes.com At one stage netvibes were working on an ipad client but I cannot find it. It just redirects to www.netvibes.com for me. I don't have an ipad so that could be the problem but I have tried changing my user agent to ipad and it still doesn't do anything.

www.netvibes.com If all else fails why not use the desktop client you are already familiar with. This works great on my 7" tablet and is quite usable on my 4" phone as long as I have a decent data connection. I notice that some behaviour changes slightly depending on the browsser you use (things like whether or not clicking an entry opens a new tab). Dolphin is my favourite Android browser and Netvibes works great on it.

What about the Netvibes App? If you are an app addict you may be disappointed to find that the only apps netvibes makes are something to do with shipping timetables  (Edit: almost certainly a different Netvibes) but lets face it, Netvibes is a web portal you are going to need a web browser to follow those links anyway. If you really want a button on your  home screen which opens directly into netvibes then make a bookmark.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am not sure the Netvibes company that make the ipad app is the same as the Netvibes website. The first one is from nederland while the second is a french company.
mbp said…
Good point. It seems like an entirely different business.

Popular posts from this blog

My First Gaming Mouse: Logitech G300

I bought a gaming mouse yesterday a Logitech G300, here my initial thoughts. What is a gaming mouse?  There are a wide variety of devices available classified as gaming mice but a few features  seem common: 1. Wired rather than wireless: Although some high end models are wireless wired connections are just better and faster than wireless so most gaming mice stick with wired. As a bonus wired mice don't need batteries so the mouse is lighter.  2. High response rate: 1 to 2ms response rate so the mouse immediately responds to input.  2. High DPI. Gaming mice invariable boast high DPI numbers from 2,000 DPI upwards. This makes the device very responsive to the smallest movements.   3. Adjustable DPI . High DPI improves responsiveness but reduces precision so gaming mice generally allow you to adjust the DPI down for precise work such as pulling off headshots in sniper mode. Generally the mouse allows dpi to be changed on the fly by pressing a button.  4. Extr

Android Tip 3: Sharing a Folder between multiple users of an Android device

Android has allowed multiple user logins for quite a while now. This is can be very useful for tablets which are shared by family members. Normally Android erects strict Chinese walls between users preventing them from using each others apps and viewing each others files. This is a useful security feature and ensures your kids don't mess up your work spreadsheets when screwing around on the tablet and should also prevent them from buying €1,000 worth of Clash of Candy coins on your account. Sometimes however you really do want to share stuff with other users and this can prove surprisingly difficult. For example on a recent holiday I realised that I wanted to share a folder full of travel documents with my wife. Here are some ways to achieve this. 1. If you have guaranteed internet access  then you can create a shared folder on either Dropbox or Google drive. Either of these has the great advantage of being able to access the files on any device and the great disadvantage of bein

Portal 2 two screen coop on one PC.

I mentioned before that I intended to try Portal 2 in "unofficial split screen co-op mode. Well split screen on a small computer monitor is a recipe for a headache especially when the game defies gravity as much as portal. However a minor bit of extra fiddling allowed us to drive two seperate screens from one PC. The Steam forums describes a complicated method of doing this that I couldn't get working so this simpler method which worked for me might be of use to someone. 1. First I followed the instructions in this post to get split screen multi-player working: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847904 A minor issue not mentioned is that you need to enable the console from the keyboard/mouse options menu I am using keyboard and one wired Xbox360 controller as suggested. Getting the controller to switch to channel 2 was tricky at first but as Chameleon8 mentions plugging it out and in again during loading works. The trick for me was to do the plug / p