Skip to main content

Horse Riding Hilarity: Two Worlds 2

Before I begin let me say that I am actually enjoying Two Worlds 2. It looks great has an interesting world to explore with lots of stuff to do. The game does have its flaws however so you do need an open mind and a certain willingness to put up with things until you get used to them if you are going to enjoy this game. Nowhere is this more evident than in the implementation of horse riding.

I got my horse as a quest reward and things looked promising at first. Facing the beast I was told to press button "A" to mount and that worked as advertised. A message flashed by suggesting that I press the left trigger to gallop but being very much of the opinion that one should learn to walk before attempting to sprint I decided to start off slowly by easing the left stick in the direction I wanted to travel. Nothing happened. The horse didn't move or turn so I tried the right stick. Again nothing happened. None of the other buttons seemed to do anything either so I decided to hold on tight and pressed the left trigger to initiate a gallop. My horse lurched forward and promptly stopped. I pressed it again and held it this time. The horse lurched again and stopped again. In order to sustain forward momentum I found that you have to pump the trigger repeatedly. Furious button mashing isn't the answer. A certain rhythm is required to maintain a constant speed.

Turning is another matter. Trial and error eventually revealed that the left stick can be used to steer a moving horse. It is quite sensitive and needs a gentle touch.  You are pumping away rhythmically with your left index finger in order to keep the horse moving and then you need to carefully adjust the steering with your left thumb. Think about that for a moment. In fact if no one is looking at you try it on an imaginary controller now.

You cannot even cheat because steering doesn't work at all when you are stationary. This causes particular difficulties when my horse runs into a tree or a wall. Once I have climbed back up I need to turn the beast's head around to get going again but it will not turn unless is is also galloping. A rather dexterous combination of left stick and left trigger resulting in a wildly spinning jump is the only way I have found out of that all too regular dilemma.

Yes I did mention climbing back up because this horse is entirely too fond of throwing its rider. If I run into an obstruction it will throw me. If I try to make it go along a path it doesn't like it will throw me. If it is attacked and injured it will throw me. If I try to push it too hard by hammering enthusiastically on the gallop button it will throw me.

This is one of the worst pieces of interface design I have ever come across. I say design because it is clearly intentional. Somebody must have decided that the ridiculous pumping required to move was a good idea. Perhaps it is supposed to simulate a rider eagerly urging their pony forwards with spurs and whip. If so then I doubt the game designers have ever ridden a real horse.

The really strange thing is that I am beginning to get used to it. Now that I can get my horse to go where I want (most of the time) at a speed that is doesn't result in my being thrown (most of the time) I am even beginning to enjoy the mini-game challenge that horse riding presents (most of the time). I still think it is a ludicrous game mechanic.

Comments

horseridesnetus said…
To learn horse riding is becoming ever popular. However, it is very important that proper tuition and instruction is taken from the outset to ensure adequate safety, and full enjoyment of the sport.

Bryce National Park Horseback Riding

Popular posts from this blog

My First Gaming Mouse: Logitech G300

I bought a gaming mouse yesterday a Logitech G300, here my initial thoughts. What is a gaming mouse?  There are a wide variety of devices available classified as gaming mice but a few features  seem common: 1. Wired rather than wireless: Although some high end models are wireless wired connections are just better and faster than wireless so most gaming mice stick with wired. As a bonus wired mice don't need batteries so the mouse is lighter.  2. High response rate: 1 to 2ms response rate so the mouse immediately responds to input.  2. High DPI. Gaming mice invariable boast high DPI numbers from 2,000 DPI upwards. This makes the device very responsive to the smallest movements.   3. Adjustable DPI . High DPI improves responsiveness but reduces precision so gaming mice generally allow you to adjust the DPI down for precise work such as pulling off headshots in sniper mode. Generally the mouse allows dpi to be changed on the fly by pressing a button.  4. Extr

Android Tip 3: Sharing a Folder between multiple users of an Android device

Android has allowed multiple user logins for quite a while now. This is can be very useful for tablets which are shared by family members. Normally Android erects strict Chinese walls between users preventing them from using each others apps and viewing each others files. This is a useful security feature and ensures your kids don't mess up your work spreadsheets when screwing around on the tablet and should also prevent them from buying €1,000 worth of Clash of Candy coins on your account. Sometimes however you really do want to share stuff with other users and this can prove surprisingly difficult. For example on a recent holiday I realised that I wanted to share a folder full of travel documents with my wife. Here are some ways to achieve this. 1. If you have guaranteed internet access  then you can create a shared folder on either Dropbox or Google drive. Either of these has the great advantage of being able to access the files on any device and the great disadvantage of bein

Portal 2 two screen coop on one PC.

I mentioned before that I intended to try Portal 2 in "unofficial split screen co-op mode. Well split screen on a small computer monitor is a recipe for a headache especially when the game defies gravity as much as portal. However a minor bit of extra fiddling allowed us to drive two seperate screens from one PC. The Steam forums describes a complicated method of doing this that I couldn't get working so this simpler method which worked for me might be of use to someone. 1. First I followed the instructions in this post to get split screen multi-player working: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847904 A minor issue not mentioned is that you need to enable the console from the keyboard/mouse options menu I am using keyboard and one wired Xbox360 controller as suggested. Getting the controller to switch to channel 2 was tricky at first but as Chameleon8 mentions plugging it out and in again during loading works. The trick for me was to do the plug / p