Thursday, September 09, 2010

I know where all those funny names come from.

When writers go looking for suitable fantasy sounding names for their characters one of the most reliable sources is to borrow phrases from the Celtic languages: Welsh, Breton, Irish and Scot's Gaelic. Although I speak English as my main language I did learn Gaelic in school so I am always interested to look out for Celtic influences in my fantasy games and novels. This evening playing Lord of the rings I came across a character in volume 3 book who has been thrown out of her tribe and is called Gun Ain which she explains means "without a name". I immediately recognised the Gaelic phrase "gan ainm" gan being without and ainm meaning name.

1 comment:

Tesh said...

I keep telling myself that one of these days I should learn Gaelic. I think it's in my blood, but I'm just so bad at languages, and I have so many other things to do...